I enjoy using my skills, knowledge and experience to help people achieve their business and personal goals and actually creating value with my service. My goal is always to create something or achieve an outcome for the client that is worth much more than whatever my fee may be. I have a generalist practice, as much as one can today, helping small to mid-size businesses, individuals, family offices and non-profit organizations in any area of law, bringing in specialists from outside the firm when and if needed to best serve the client. My firm, Spillman&Partners is a full-service, new philosophy, law firm for established and growth-stage businesses, family offices, and individuals. We manage a wide array of matters for our clients, including as outside general counsel or on matter-specific engagements, both through direct representation and by association with other expert attorneys. We maintain offices in the Phoenix, Arizona area (at the Scottsdale Airpark) and in downtown Chicago, Illinois (in the Loop at State and Washington).
I have been a practicing attorney for 10 years, starting in a large Chicago law firm called Kirkland & Ellis LLP out of law school in 2006. I also served in an in-house general counsel and chief financial officer role with a business services company for six years before starting the Firm. In my career, I have represented family businesses, technology companies, private equity firms, and others in an array of matter types, including especially in numerous commercial and corporate transactions. My contract negotiation and drafting experience ranges from employment agreements to stock purchase agreements, from software licensing to offshore services arrangements, and many other applications in between.
CFO and General Counsel
March 2009 – March 2015 (6 years 1 month) Scottsdale, AZ, Chicago, IL and Virginia Beach, VA
• Draft and negotiate asset purchase agreement and all equity and other documents pertaining to an acquisition of the business, successfully separating it from legacy tax liabilities
• Draft and negotiate all agreements with onshore and offshore vendors and service providers, more than 75 public and private clients, industry trade groups, insurers, consultants and employees, landlords, banking and financing providers, strategic partners and potential acquirers, including, non-disclosure, employment, consulting, severance, settlement, equipment and real estate lease, partnership, unit purchase, sponsorship and services agreements
• Conduct all other legal matters for the business, including but not limited to coordinating and supervising defense of class action and workers compensation claims with outside counsel, as well as providing interpretation and advice regarding all relevant statutory law and regulatory regimes
Finance and Management Experience
• Develop and lead major process improvements, total rebranding of the business, integration and implementation of information systems and organizational structures, and institution of a continuous improvement philosophy among management
• Direct and oversee all aspects of finance and accounting functions of the organization, including the management of key external relationships and the provision of internal and external financial analysis, including budget performance, trending and forecasting, and the continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives.
• Draft proposals for public bid processes (~20/yr), including developing pricing and projections and attending interviews
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
September 2006 – February 2009 (2 years 6 months) Chicago, IL
• Draft and negotiate stock purchase and asset purchase agreements, conduct and supervise due diligence, negotiate and prepare documentation related to auction procedures, coordinate closing mechanics, and prepare ’34 Act filings, as applicable, in a variety of private M&A transactions
• Draft and review public company filings, plan and execute corporate restructuring transactions
• Draft and negotiate term sheets, offering memoranda, subscription agreements, management agreements, side agreements with institutional investors and organizational documents
• Representative matters include, but are not limited to: (1) advising public equity firm clients in acquisitions and divestitures of numerous middle market companies, as well as related transactions such as follow-on equity investments; (2) advising Calpine Corporation in its restructuring and vast simplification of its corporate structure through related-party mergers and consolidations; (3) advising GMAC in sales of asset-backed securities; (4) advising private equity firms in their raising of pools of investment capital; and (5) advising a pro bono individual client on estate planning considerations