In House Legal Solutions, Inc., Miami, FL April 2016 to the present
• Outside counsel providing in house counsel services.
• Provide guidance with regard to transactional matters relating to contracts, including but not limited to, employment, settlement, vendor, provider (hospital/physicians), services, agency, consulting, non-disclosure, inter-company, and any and all health care/insurance related agreements.
• Provide guidance with regard to Florida laws as well as international regulatory laws in Latin America and the Caribbean.
• Act as liaison and referral guide with regard to international and domestic outside counsel using extensive network of contacts.
• Provide guidance with regard to general corporate matters, including but not limited to, establishment of legal entities, organization of Board of Directors, shareholder and committee meetings, coordination of necessary powers of attorney and approvals for Board members, officers and Company representatives, and updating corporate bylaws or articles of incorporation.
• Ability to serve as member of Board of Directors of health care institutions.
• Provide notary services.
Bupa Global Latin America, Miami, FL July 2009 to March 2016
• Provided legal advice to the local Managing Director, VP of Sales, VP of Marketing, COO, CFO, Compliance Officer, Risk & Privacy Officer, Tax Department, Customer Service Department and Human Resources Department on a variety of subjects, including but not limited to, insurance products, regulatory compliance, immigration, labor and employment, corporate governance, intellectual property, litigation, and regulatory matters.
• Organized, ran and finalized minutes for Shareholder, Board of Directors and committee meetings for 6 Florida Bupa entities as well as for Bupa entities in Bermuda, Panama, Guatemala, Mexico, Ecuador, Bolivia and the Dominican Republic.
• Led the opening of Bupa’s Guatemala and Panama offices in 2014.
• Maintained and updated corporate books.
• Hired, supervised and actively managed outside counsel.
• Liaised with legal/corporate counterparts as well as general managers of Bupa entities in the UK and Latin America for various projects.
• Reviewed, negotiated and finalized promissory notes, vendor agreements, service agreements, non-disclosure agreements, employment agreements, settlement agreements, reinsurance agreements, consulting/services agreements, HIPAA business associate agreements and various types of intercompany agreements.
• Maintained and updated insurance records for the company.
• Obtained international and local insurance licenses to continue to do business in Latin America.
• Negotiated partnership arrangements with local insurance companies in Latin America and the Caribbean.
• Successfully requested and recovered subrogation payments.
• Successfully led audits by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation in 2009 and 2014.
• Led company-wide trainings on sales strategies in new markets.
• Managed dissolution of local and Latin American Bupa entities.
• Managed local and international litigation matters.
• Obtained federal trademark and copyright protection for local marks.
Broad and Cassel, Miami, FL January 2007 to July 2009
• Represented healthcare clients, including physicians, physician groups, hospitals, managed care organizations, and clinics, in various transactions, including: managed care contract negotiations and drafting, negotiating and preparing organizational contracts, purchase and sale contracts, employment agreements and settlement agreements.
• Advised healthcare clients on fraud and abuse issues and statutory and corporate compliance.
• Represented corporate clients in various corporate transactions, including: settlement negotiations and contracting, and contracting for the formation and dissolution of corporations, partnerships and LLCs.
• Drafted and negotiated other corporate contracts, including: shareholders’ agreements, indemnification agreements, assignment and assumption agreements, management agreements, redemption agreements, stock purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, security agreements, promissory notes and restrictive covenants.
• Represented public companies and advised them on SEC regulatory compliance issues.
• Represented bank, attend bank Board meetings and advised bank on corporate compliance issues.
• Published in ABA Health Law’s January 2009 eSource issue as well as South Florida Hospital News’ February 2009 issue with article "When a Hospital Enters into an Exclusive Provider Contract: Do the Adversely Affected Physicians Have a Right to a Fair Hearing Pursuant to the Hospital’s Bylaws.”
Rivero Palmer & Mestre LLP (now Rivero & Mestre), Miami, FL August 2005 to January 2007
• Represented corporate clients in complex commercial disputes including breach of contract claims, fraud actions, securities actions, and litigation relating to Latin American investments and international white collar crime.
• Took part in various hearings and a ten-hour mediation in preparation for taking part in multi-million dollar trial against Fresh Del Monte Produce, Inc.
• Successfully took depositions.
• Prepared complaints and motions for summary judgment, for protective order, for default judgment, to dismiss, to compel, to strike and in limine.
• Prepared responses to interrogatories, requests for production, and response to motion for judgment on the pleadings.
• Conducted an investigation for a high-profile international SEC matter and as part of it, successfully conducted and translated interviews with Spanish-speaking witnesses.